What to expect from this course
This course is designed for healthcare workers who need to be trained to safely move and handle patients as part of their role in the workplace under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work 2005 and Manual Handling Regulations 1993 and 2007.
All learners receive a comprehensive Manual Handling manual.
Subjects taught include:
- Legislation regarding manual handling with reference to the workplace
- How your back works, anatomy of the musculo-skeletal system and mechanisms of injury
- Risk assessment
- Understanding the aggravating factors in manual handling – namely, weight and/or size of load, unstable load, distance carried, twisting and turning, pushing and pulling, repetitive handling and lifting
- Common errors involved with manual/people handling
- The basic lifting techniques (animate and inanimate loads)
- Introduction to patient handling concepts
- Understanding when there is a need for team lifting
- Ergonomics and Risk Assessment
- Lifting equipment and Risk Assessment
On-site courses are available
7 days a week, across the UK.
Continuous assessment by your instructor and a short multiple choice paper
On completion of the course, participants will receive a Safe and Sound Certificate of Attendance which is valid for three years
Start this course immediately with our easy to use e-learning option: