What to expect from this course
As part of the Enhanced CPD Scheme, the GDC recommends that 10 hours in every 5 year CPD cycle is dedicated to “medical emergency for dentist training with at least two hours of CPD in this topic every year.“ CPR training for dentists should be updated annually in line with Resuscitation Council (UK) guidelines
Our blended course includes an online module which must be completed prior to a practical assessment session at your surgery or on one of our Open courses.
The training is led by qualified paramedics with extensive experience in emergency medical care.
FREE Emergency Equipment Check: For your peace of mind, your Safe and Sound instructor will check your emergency drugs kit and equipment to ensure that everything is in date and stored correctly.
Recognising and responding to a range of medical emergencies including:
The use of emergency equipment and drugs in line with Resuscitation Council (UK) and BNF guidelines
The importance of teamwork in the ABCDE Approach to managing medical emergencies
Planning ahead in order to minimise the risks of a medical emergency for individual patients.
GDC Principles and Outcomes
This CPD course will support dental professionals in meeting the following GDC principles and the underlying standards:
• Principle 6: Work with colleagues in a way that is in patients’ best interests
• Principle 7: Maintain, develop and work within your professional knowledge and skills
• Development Outcome A. (Communication domain). Effective communication with patients, the dental team, and others across dentistry.
• Development Outcome B. (Management domain). Effective management of self and others or effective work with others in the dental team, in the interests of patients at all times.
• Development Outcome C. (Clinical domain) Maintenance and development of knowledge and skill within your field of practice
• Development Outcome D. (Professionalism domain) Maintenance of skills, behaviours and attitudes which maintain patient confidence in you and the dental profession and put patients’ interests first.
For our Open courses the practical assessment is from 09.30-11.30 am.
The online module can be completed on any PC or mobile device. Study at your own pace and log in and out as often as you wish
The practical session is available on-site at your practice 7 days a week, across the UK.
Online module: Approximately 2 hours
Practical Session: 1.5-3 hours depending on group size
Continuous assessment by your instructor
If for any reason a learner is unable to demonstrate the practical skills taught on the course they will be invited to attend one of our Open courses completely free of charge.
On successful completion of the course you will receive a Safe and Sound certificate valid for one year. This course qualifies for 4 hours of verifiable CPD