What to expect from this course
The aim of this course is to allow dental clinicians including dentists, dental nurses and hygienists to develop their professional knowledge, understanding and competence in medical emergencies, in line with their identified personal learning requirements.
The course has been created for dental clinicians.
Course content includes:
- Recognising and responding to a range of medical emergencies including:
- Cardiac arrest
- Myocardial infarction
- The use of emergency equipment and drugs in line with Resuscitation Council (UK) and BNF guidelines
- The importance of teamwork in the ABCDE Approach to managing medical emergencies
- Planning ahead in order to minimise the risks of a medical emergency for individual patients.
GDC Principles and Outcomes
This CPD course will support dental professionals in meeting the following GDC principles and the underlying standards:
- Principle 6: Work with colleagues in a way that is in patients’ best interests
- Principle 7: Maintain, develop and work within your professional knowledge and skills
- Development Outcome A. (Communication domain). Effective communication with patients, the dental team, and others across dentistry
- Development Outcome B. (Management domain). Effective management of self and others or effective work with others in the dental team, in the interests of patients at all times. Constructive leadership
- Development Outcome C. (Clinical domain) Maintenance and development of knowledge and skill within your field of practice
- Development Outcome D. (Professionalism domain) Maintenance of skills, behaviours and attitudes which maintain patient confidence in you and the dental profession and put patients’ interests first
NOTE: This online course does not include “live” manikin training for CPR and use of the AED. To comply with Resuscitation Council (UK) guidelines a practical assessment should be carried out annually.
Approximately 2 hours, but you can spend as little or as much time on each subject as you wish, and go forward or back through the course at any time.
This online course can be completed on any PC or mobile device. Study at your own pace and log in and out as often as you wish.
Appeals to all learning styles with interactive quizzes, video and audio features.
Allows you to work at your own pace, testing your knowledge as you progress through the course.
Assessment and Certification
Verifiable CPD points: 2
Learners are assessed through self-checks as they progress through the course and an end of course multiple choice assessment.
On successful completion, learners can download a certificate which can be used as verifiable CPD in line with GDC Enhanced CPD guidelines