According to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), the cost of workplace related injuries to UK businesses in 2015/16 was:
£14.1 billion with 30.4 million working days lost
The HSE’s annual workplace accident and illness statistics report found that there were an estimated 621,000 non-fatal injuries in 2015/16, of which the most common causes were:
- handling, lifting or carrying (20 per cent)
- slipping or tripping (19 per cent)
- being hit by a moving object (10 per cent)
The Labour Force Survey found that some industry sectors had significantly higher injury rates in comparison to others:
- accommodation and food services
- transport and storage
- wholesale and retail.
Accidents and ill health can not only ruin lives but can also increase costs to your business through lost output, compensation claims and higher insurance premiums.
As an employer you can take positive action to protect your staff and your business by:
- carrying out regular risk assessments
- ensuring that your employees undertake effective, regular First Aid at Work training to stop a minor injury becoming a major one and, in the worst case scenario to save someone’s life.
Use our First Aid at Work calculator to help you assess your first aid training requirements:
Make sure your staff have the skills and confidence to act in an emergency. If you are not sure what First Aid and Safety training you need just get in touch on 020 8445 8998.