A large exploding firework.

Selling fireworks to under age youths

Last night I was buying groceries at my local convenient store when two youths came in and asked for fireworks.  They couldn’t have been older than 14 and yet the shop keeper never asked their age or for an identity card to prove their age. Of course, we all know that that teenagers carry false ID’s but at least the shop keeper should have tried to check.

As the mother of three grown up boys I am very aware of how teenagers behave and that fun and having a laugh can take over from their more cautious side. Which is why there is an upper age limit on the sale of fireworks.

So, whose responsibility is it to ensure that fireworks do not get into the wrong hands? I think that those selling fireworks need to be far more vigilant – perhaps they should look at a few videos of how dangerous they are and what can happen if they are used carelessly.  And maybe a stint in A & E might be a good wake up call.  But should I too have been more responsible and intervened?

I believe we all have a collective responsibility and yes I probably should have said something and been brave enough to have born what would certainly have been the wrath of both the shop keeper and the youths.

This is a fun time and I certainly don’t want to put a damper on the festivities but my plea is; behave responsibly and buy fireworks from a reputable dealer, do not give sparklers to young children as they can get very very hot (nearly one in ten firework accidents are with sparkler) and be mindful of what you wear as loose fitting clothing may catch light easily

Should the worst happen know the correct procedure for a burn


  • Cool the burn with cold running water for at least ten minutes to stop the burning and relieve the pain. If cold water is not available, use another cold, harmless liquid such as milk.
  • Get medical help for any burn or scald which is larger than a 50p coin.
  • Remember to keep calm and give lots of comfort and reassurance to the child.
  • DO NOT remove burnt clothing which has stuck to the skin. Burnt clothing is sterile and will protect the wound
  • Remove carefully any jewellery, belts, restrictive clothing or footwear (that is not stuck to the skin) from the injured area before it begins to swell.
  • Cover the burn with a clean, dry, non-fluffy dressing and secure loosely. A plastic bag or piece of cling film is ideal.
  • DO NOT put butter, oil or any sort of grease or lotion on a burn or scald – these can cause further damage and increase the risk of infection.
  • DO NOT apply sticking plaster or any other type of adhesive dressing to the skin – they will cause pain and damage when removed.
  • DO NOT break blisters – you may introduce infection into the wound
  • DO NOT give the child anything to eat or drink, except for painkillers.
  • Give the recommended dose of children’s painkiller syrup.
  • If clothing catches fire, get the person to stop, drop to the floor and roll them in a heavy material, such as a curtain.
  • Seek medical advice.


We cover burns extensively on our first aid courses. For more information about courses near to you go to www.safeandsound.uk.net or call Safe and Sound on 0208 445 8998